Power System Modelling & Analysis
Altek has extensive experience in the computer based modelling and analysis of electrical power systems. Altek has carried out this work in many sectors including oil and gas, public and private electricity networks, large scale power stations, data centres and a wide range of commercial and industrial processes. This has included modelling of conventional electrical power systems (coal, nuclear, CCGT) and also detailed work to understand the impact of low carbon generation (CHP) and renewable energy schemes (wind farms, bio-energy, tidal power).
This experience together with our innovative approach to electrical network design, modelling and analysis allows us to reduce energy costs and CO2 emissions whilst at the same time maintaining high levels of safety and security of supply.
Altek’s Power System Modelling and Analysis capabilities include:
- Load flow Studies to determine the steady state power flows and voltage magnitudes for various generation and demand scenarios. The results are used to assess the system electrical equipment continuous current / power ratings and system voltage profiles.
- Fault Level Studies in accordance with IEC 60909 / IEC 61363 and Engineering recommendation G74 to determine the short circuit duty of plant electrical equipment to be specified.
- Harmonic Analysis Studies to assess the electrical power quality in accordance with the Engineering recommendation G5/4 standard.
- Motor Starting Studies to evaluate the motor starting performance and the impact on the electrical power system.
- Insulation Co-ordination Study to ensure that all electrical equipment is adequately insulated to withstand maximum steady state and transient current and voltages due to lightning strikes, switching operation and fault conditions.
- Protection & Co-ordination Studies to calculate the protection settings for the network protection devices and to assess their performance.
- Dynamic/Transient Stability Studies to assess the dynamic performance of electrical equipment and the interconnected power system under abnormal conditions such as Generator tripping, Load shedding, System faults, Motor starting, etc. These are verified against the grid code requirements with respect to Engineering Recommendation.
- Arc Flash Analysis to identify and analyse the high risk arc flash areas in the electrical power system in accordance with IEEE 1584 2002-2004/NEPA standards).
- Earthing System Design Studies as per IEEE and IEC standards.
- Network Planning Studies.
- Loss of Generation Studies.
Our engineers are experts in using various power system analysis software packages. As such Altek is in a unique position to offer detailed investigation into a client’s electrical network and provide low cost solutions for the specific power system issues to meet all the technical and legislative compliance requirements.